Post 2: From Thing 2: Thoughts About Web 2.0

Here are some initial thoughts that I have about Web 2.0:

Wow!  I can tell this is going to be a powerful course and change the way I do things in the classroom.

A question I have from the first article: “A Tidal Wave of Info – and helping our students sift through it.”  How do we, as educators, do this? We must, as educators, do this.  We cannot just give our students a research project and a computer, and say to them, “Off you go.  You’ll find everything you need.”   We need to guide them.  My students completed this project this past fall where they were researching a given figure of importance from the American Revolution.  We grouped the figures into an easy, medium, and hard category, thinking that the ones that were most well known, like George Washington, would be one of the easiest.  Well, in actuality, he was one of the most difficult figures to research because there was SO much information about him.  It really required a strong student to be able to sift through it all, and determine what was important and relevant to the project.

Not quite sure I understand: “The answer to information overload is to produce more information.”

One of the important ideas and I am pulling away from the second article is that through wikis, blogs, and podcasting, we can connect and support each other.  I think that this can be a very powerful tool for both teachers and students.

2 thoughts on “Post 2: From Thing 2: Thoughts About Web 2.0

1. I am so excited that you are seeing the glut of information and the importance of guiding the students through the research process. You don’t have to do it all by yourself! Collaborate and team with the media and technology staff to teach the students how to manage alll the information and evaluate the validity of the information they find.

I see your world opening to the possibilities of wikis, blogs and the world of collaboration.

2. War Eagle, sister! (Assuming you mean FLA Gators)

My interpretation of the quote, “The answer to information overload is to create more information” is this:

Perhaps he means to streamline/restructure the information in more user-friendly ways by categorizing it, making it easier to access, etc.

–or–

He may mean that more information about a topic from a variety of people can make it more understandable–as more viewpoints/expression of ideas are shared–each person providing more pieces to the puzzle.

About the research project–Isn’t it funny how you can’t always predict the issues/challenges of a new project? Even when you think you’ve developed it well, expressed it clearly, and provided good structure, there is often room for tweeking. It was nice to hear that observation sounded off by someone other than my guilt-ridden self. 🙂