Post 3: From Thing 4

1.  What do you notice about the genre of blog writing in general?

I am noticing that the genre of the blogs is quite inviting.  The author is inviting the reader to think, reflect, and even engage in conversation about a topic that is passionate to him/her.  I have enjoyed reading the blogs.

2.  How is blog reading different from other types of reading? How is it similar?

I have chosen to read the blogs that have an interest to me.  I am finding the reading of blogs to be fairly easy to me.  I find myself interacting to the blogs as if I were having a conversation with the author, nodding my head in agreement to a comment, or saying out loud how I feel about what I’ve just read. 

3.  How is blog writing different from other types of writing? How is it similar?

This is my first experience with writing a blog, but it seems, at least so far, that it is somewhat like a journal.  By that I mean it will be a place for me to reflect about any topic I choose, or in the case of this particular blog, topics that were given to me.  I anticipate that my blogs will have an informal tone to them.

4.  How does commenting contribute to the writing and meaning-making?

By commenting on others’ blogs, you are engaging in a written conversation.  I see blogging as a step above an editorial in a newspaper.  In an editorial, the author is sharing his/her thoughts, opinions, views on a given subject.  The reader simply reads – is passive in a sense.  Maybe the reader engages in a conversation with someone about the article, or maybe not.  However, in a blog, the reader can become an active participant and engage the author in conversation through commenting on the blog.

5.  How can blogging facilitate learning?

Blogging can facilitate learning through the back and forth comments.  Both the author and the reader of the blog are learning from each other, questioning each other, answering questions, thinking/reflecting on the content of the blog – and that’s what learning is. 

This particular blog, authored by Dan Dyer, titled Why I don’t Assign Homework,

http://blog.mrmeyer.com/?p=133   struck me as quite interesting.  During my earlier years of teaching, before having my own children, I would not think twice about assigning HW, and sometimes lots of it.  But now that I am a parent, I see things from the other side.  The children are in school ALL day long – how much HW is really necessary?  What is the purpose of HW?  Unlike Dan, I do feel HW is necessary, but I’ve looked more closely at what I assign for HW, how much I assign, why am I assigning this HW, what learning objective is there?

2 thoughts on “Post 3: From Thing 4

1. I agree whole-heatedly that blogging allows the reader to think, reflect, and even engage in conversation. It is important to empower our students to think, become active participants to have conversations with the author. Learning is learning from each other and questioning, answering questions and thinking about the content is what it is all about.

Blogs can take any format and an informal tone is perfectly fine if that is what you are comfortable with.

The HW blog definitely is one that provokes conversations and opinioins. I think that HW is ok if the objectives are kept up front and clear and not given for busy work. I feel strongly that HW is for reinforcing or practicing what is learned in school. I also think that reading for preparation is beneficial. Busy work is not!

2. I must agree with you about the homework blog, as I had the same journey. I did not give a second thought to assigning homework until BAM I had children of my own and the homework poured in. I thought this poor child has been in school ALL day and now he has to spend the rest of the evening completing homework. As my son and I were workin on one of his homework assignments, he said to me…”Mom, I don’t want to go to school anymore” I knew I had to rethink the homework assignments and the amount of time my students were spending on homework.